This Week in UGH: Week of March 4 – 10, 2018
- President for Life: We started this week of with a bang. Not only was the Bachelor finale atrocious enough for those of us who don’t watch the show to be aware of how awful Ari truly is, but Donald Trump made some troubling remarks about emulating dictators. The way he phrased the supposed joke was in reference to Xi Jinping, “He’s now president for life. President for life. No, he’s great. And look, he was able to do that. I think it’s great. Maybe we’ll have to give that a shot some day.” Lest you be tempted to think that this is just a joking remark, this is not the only time that Trump has praised dictators and authoritarian regimes. His praise and admiration for Putin, Duterte, Sissi, and Erdogan are well-documented. This is not a man who seeks to serve his country. His country must serve him and display loyalty above all else (which is why the White House is a revolving door of mediocre bit players).
- Detention Centers are Horrible to Teens: A lawsuit brought against Washington state’s Department of Social and Health Services and Marybeth Queral (assistant secretary and director of the Rehabilitation Administration at the Washington State department of Social and Health Services) and Lori Nesmit (former associate supervisor at Green High School in Chehalis). This lawsuit claims that teenage boys have been raped by counselors in the all-male Green High School. The lawsuit further claims that the Department of Social and Health Services turned a blind eye to the abuse of power and horrific sexual abuse perpetrated against these boys. The problem is twofold: the prison industrial complex strikes again and women engaging in sexually criminal acts against boys are not seen in the same light as it would if the genders were reversed.
- Also Horrible? Psychiatric Facilities: Two nursing assistants were charged with sexually assaulting their patients at a Psychiatric Facility in Iowa. The way that People is reporting the story is filled with phrases like “developed an emotional relationship with the two patients.” Listen, I don’t know if this is because these are white women, or what the hell is going on with reporting. But we’ve got to stop letting people abuse their power over vulnerable populations and think, “it’s totally ok, no harm done.” Just stop, please.
- Keep fighting. Vote out Republicans in 2018 and replace them with better candidates who may want to start that impeachment process. Let’s not have this or any president for life.
- Say yes to prison reform. Read up on it. Let’s make structures that do not allow for this disregard of human life and promote the abuse of power. The school to prison industrial complex is well at work, especially when it comes to teens of color. Let’s not let these kids fall through the cracks.
- See above, but with mental health care.
- BONUS: I hear Jessica Jones is back on Netflix. Let’s give it a shot.