This Week in UGH: Week of April 8-14, 2018
I had a plan this week. I really did. I constantly texted myself things that were of note, but then Friday night happened, so let’s get that out of the way. The toddler in chief, at the behest of his new national security advisor, ordered strikes on Syria on the same week he pardoned Scooter Libby, Paul Ryan retired, and Michael Cohen’s office was raided as some kind of news distraction. If we were so preoccupied with helping Syrian refugees, we’d have admitted more than 11 of them to the United States this year instead of starting yet another war.
- Cops were Called on Two Black Men at a Starbucks: When we’re sitting at a Starbucks and haven’t ordered anything because we’re having the decency to wait for our friends to show up, we don’t expect get the cops called on us and are arrested. That’s exactly what happened to two men. It just so happened that the color of their skin very definitely had something to do with it.
- White Man Shoots at Black Teen: In what is definitely a hate crime, a black fourteen-year-old young man was shot at for asking for directions. He knocked on the door of a house to ask for directions while walking the four miles to school after missing his bus. The white man’s wife, who answered the door started yelling about the boy trying to supposedly break in, hence the shooting.
- Suspected White Supremacist Gets Benefit of the Doubt: This week in white nonsense, a white man makes a bomb, accidentally sets it off, dies, and after the fact the police find white supremacist propaganda in his home and we have this gem of a quote “‘It does cause me some concern but I want to make very clear just because Mr. Morrow was in the possession of this material, does not categorize in any particular light,’ Lt. Terrence Gebhardt told CBS 58. ‘He could have been an individual that was doing research.’” Could you imagine law enforcement uttering the phrase “doing research” if the suspected terrorist in question was not of the pale skin variety?
- Racism is a real thing; racial bias is a real thing. We must be aware of both and fight both. Be a better human being.
- See above. Also, is it time for the gun control conversation yet, or are we waiting for it to be the right time still?
- White supremacy ideas need to be taken as seriously as any other extremist ideology.
- BONUS: Check out Nailed It! on Netflix. It’s seriously goofy and utterly delightful.